Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Preparing for Big Trips

It's Taylor here now.

Do you know how much work it is to get ready to go on a five and a half week trip? And then to get ready to move on top of that?

We started planning the trip months and months ago. My mom asked us to help think of places we wanted to go. That didn't always work out so well. One time when we were supposed to be planning the trip, Christian was running around the living room singing, "I'm a depressed monkey." That's a song Rachel wrote with some of her friends.. It goes like this:

I woke up in the morning craving banana pie.
But when I went down to the kitchen, the bananas were covered in flies.
I picked them off the tree, but those bananas got rotten on me.

Chorus:
I'm a depressed monkey.
I'm a depressed monkey.
The bananas are old and funky.
Oh, I'm a depressed monkey.
They were all rotten and totally forgotten.
My, oh my. I can't have my banana pie.

Beans and rice aren't nearly as nice as sweet banana pie.
Gourmet dish isn't nearly as delicious as sween banana pie.

Repeat chorus.

Or something like that. (I had to ask Rachel to remember the words.) Pretty soon, I was running around with him. Doesn't that song make you want to run around the room too? We didn't get much done that meeting.

Here's some more things we have to do to get ready: We ordered books on tape to listen to while we drive. Actually, my dad reserved about half of the books on tape in the library for us. We needed two plastic bags to carry them all. We got Kindle Fires for our birthdays to read in the car. We downloaded some games too. For Christmas, we got duffle bags and sleeping bags. My mom makes us pack our own bag. She gives us a list and then we have to get everything. Hopefully, the bag will be lighter than when I went on a school fieldtrip for three nights to Nature's classroom to Cape Cod. My bag was so heavy that I could hardly carry it.

We also have to get Christian used to sleeping in the camper. At home, he normally sleeps in a crib. In the camper, I share a bed with Christian. When we're supposed to be sleeping, he sometimes "accidentally" bops heads with me. Then he climbs out the bed and yells "Taylor stole my pillow" even though I didn't! He's a big ratski at sleeping in the "pop." It takes him like an hour to go to sleep - and then it takes me that long too because I can't go to sleep with him acting like that.

Last night, I was reading a book to Christian called: "One, Two, Three." It's by Sandra Boynton. She's written lots of books for little kids. For the number five, the book says, "Five works well for a ride in a car. As long as the car ride isn't too far." On the first part of our trip, there will be five people in the car. Do you think the car ride is too far?

Taylor signing out.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's not as funny when Christian is yelling "Taylor stole my pillow" and all you are trying to do is sleep! But it sure is funny to read about. :)

    When I was a teenager my family took a trip kind of like yours - we spent 2 months driving around the Western half of the U.S. We didn't have Kindle Fires to read on like you, but we sure did stock up on books on tape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of funny when Christian was yelling "Taylor stole my pillow"

      Delete
  2. Your mom sounds pretty smart about making you pack your own bag--that way you know it will have the things you like in it. Good luck sharing a bed with Christian--that sounds like an adventure all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need all the luck I can get.Thanks.

      Delete
  3. That's going to be a long trip! Good luck Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After long car rides my back is always hurting.

      Delete
  4. Taylor, I know you are going to need all the luck you can get for this trip, so: GOOD LUCK!( and have fun!):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're the fifth person who wished me good luck.I'm glad though because I am gonna need it.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you will have Christian all trained to sleep in the camper by the time I join you. It sounds like the first few nights in the camper with Christian will be a challenging, but fun, adventure!
    Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know, your Dad will not be traveling with you at first. That's why there will only be five people. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he was going to Greece and Israel. Is that right? Does your camper have A/C?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Greece and Germany.No, it doesn't have A/c. It does have fans though.

      Delete
  7. How do you like your Kindle Fires

    ReplyDelete