Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bad Weather in the Badlands (Theodore Roosevelt National Park)

From Taylor:

You would think that when I say bad weather I would mean pouring rain. But actually when I say we had bad weather in the badlands I mean that it was roasting hot - as in 107 degrees.

But let me start at the beginning. We woke up and left for our horse ride at 8:30 a.m. inside Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We did it so early because we knew it was going to be soooo hot (I was happy we moved it). It was me, my two sisters, my mom, and my grandpa riding horses. They almost didn't let Sarah Ann go because she was too short, but then they shortened up the stirrups so she could fit. At first, I was nervous and didn't know if I wanted to do it. But after the practice ride when we rode around in a circle, I felt confident and knew it would be fun. My horse was named Peppy. He wasn't too Peppy though. In fact, he was sort of slow. I tried to kick him to go faster, but he wouldn't. I liked going uphill because sometimes Peppy would run and I would have to slow him down.

After the hour and a half horse ride, we drove the south loop of the National Park. We saw tons of animals like bisons and prairie dogs. We saw tons of prairie dogs - so many that eventually I got tired of prairie dogs. We could hear them talking to each other. Then we saw tons and tons of bison and they were really close to the rode. They were close enough to our car that we could probably touch them. They didn't seem at all afraid of humans.

We got out of the car at an overlook and did a short hike to a neat view. It was so hot. When we got back to the car, my face was drenched in sweat. My mom had to basically drag Sarah Ann. I thought I would faint on the way up to the overlook. Then on the way down, I felt a little better.

When we were driving back, my grandpa said the rocks looked like ice cream cones. My mom said, "Who wants to go lick one of those ice cream cones?" Christian yelled, "I do!" When we told him he couldn't because it wasn't real ice cream, he cried the rest of the way through the loop.

Here's me riding a horse

one of hundreds of buffalo we saw

Rachel and Sarah Ann on their horses
We'll add more photos later. Our internet connection is really slow here and isn't cooperating very well.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing, Taylor! Both your blog and your pictures are so interesting. You are having such wonderful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor it sounds like you had a fun time rideing hourses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That horse ride sounds memorable and hot! Have you guys visited Yellowstone? Or are you going to during this trip? They have lots of buffalo but not so many prarie dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. North Dakota sounds interesting. Glad the horse ride was early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you decided to ride the horse even though you were a little nervous. Sometimes people miss out on some of life's most rewarding experiences because they are afraid to try. I'm glad you had the courage!

    Love, grandma

    ReplyDelete